Gilmer County was twenty-six years old when a body of members from the Flat Creek Baptist Church crossed the Coosawattee River on May 16, 1858 to constitute a body of believers into a new church which they called Pleasant Grove Baptist Church.
Elder Peter Miller was elected Chairman of the new Presbytery which possessed all the rights and privileges claimed by the United Baptist Church of Christ. J. D. Woodward was chosen to serve in the office of Deacon. There were twelve charter members, 6 male and 6 female. They adopted Articles of Faith and Rules of Decorum to govern the body. They became members of the Ellijay Baptist Association.
In the early nineteen hundreds interest waned and the church had “preaching services” only occasionally. Brother Bert Banks led the church in revival and the membership called J. G. Dover as Pastor. The church began to grow.
The first meeting house which was located in what is now the paved parking area (similar to the log church shown here) was destroyed by fire and a new building (pictured at right) was constructed in 1926.
The building which now stands across the road from the cemetery was dedicated in 1958. Benjamin A. Logan gave one acre of land for this church building which was the fourth one to be built. They became charter members of the Mountaintown Baptist Association.
In the late 1990’s Pleasant Grove experienced another period of growth which led to plans to again re-build. The existing location and space available would not allow for future growth.
A parcel of land located on Highway 282 and the corner of Pleasant Grove Road was donated for the purpose of building a larger church. It was planned to be built in phases. Phase 1 was completed and our current Sanctuary & Educational Facility was dedicated on june 2, 2002 on the 144th anniversary of the establishment of Pleasant Grove Baptist Church .