Fellowship, according to Bible.org, is the sharing together in a common life with other believers through a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Fellowship is first and foremost a relationship, rather than an activity. The principle is that any activity that follows should come out of the relationship1.
In Acts 2:42 the early church was not merely devoting itself to activities, but to a relationship. It was this relationship that produced an active sharing in other ways. It is so important that we grasp this. Fellowship means we belong to each other in a relationship because we share together the common life and enabling grace of Jesus Christ1.
Relationship describes what we are: a community of believers bound together by our common life and blessings that we share together in our relationship with Christ1.
One of the activities that stems from the relationship is the fellowship meal. And as a Southern Baptist church, we like to eat! We can use the varied fellowship meals we host each year at Pleasant Grove to get to know each other, to invite others, to pray for each other, and to share information. It is my hope that you will be a part of the fellowship meals planned for 2016.
To make our fellowship meals a success, we need your help.
- First, we need you to attend; and
- Second, we need you to sign-up on the sign-up sheet, if used. We need this information for planning purposes. We don’t want to come up short or over purchase because of having to guess how many will attend; and
- Third, we need you to bring enough food. The rule of thumb is to bring food commensurate with the number in your family. I have heard people say, there is always enough food, but what some may not know, is that a few ladies in the church have been bringing anywhere from 3 to 5 extra dishes each meal to ensure there is enough food. To make it equitable, we all need to participate; and
- Fourth, volunteer to help, set-up, serve and/or clean-up. In the past, this has usually fallen on the same 3 to 4 people. The old saying, many hands make the load light sure fits here;
- Fifth, take your empty dishes home. If left, we will hold on to them for a short while, but if not picked up, they will be donated. Also, the church has plenty of serving utensils, please do not bring yours.
We are looking forward to what God is and will do through the fellowship activities at Pleasant Grove. If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or want to help, please contact the church.